There will be a lot of kids walking around the neighborhood during Halloween. Apart from the planning for the event, children will be knocking on your door and asking for goodies so be ready for them by exercising these safety tips.
1. If you are going to be at home the whole night, keep your porch lights and any other exterior lights on so they know that they come and knock at your door.
2. If you live in a street where a lot of cars pass regularly, go out so you can tell the drivers not to speed and you can check that there are no acts of malicious mischief or crimes happening against children. Should you see someone out of place, report this directly to the police by dialing 911.
3. For those who have candlelit jack o lanterns on their front porch, make sure that this is placed a bit far from doorsteps or landings. Children could play with it or at worse, their costume could catch fire and you will have a bigger problem on your hands. One alternative is to use lighted bulbs instead.
4. When you are carving a pumpkin or working on a lantern, don’t let the kids touch any of the sharp tools.
5. Your children will choose what they want to wear during Halloween night. Just makes sure that the outfit they choose to wear is flame resistant and is not too long as this could make them trip or fall.